LFV and Saab go global and establish a joint venture for remotely-operated air navigation services
29 June 12:06
LFV and Saab establish a joint venture, Saab Digital Air Traffic Solutions, to promote, develop, deliver and operate digital remote air traffic control for the export market.
“LFV and Saab have been working together on the development of Remote Tower Services and the digitalisation of air navigation services for many years. Establishing a joint venture is a natural step to take”, says Olle Sundin, LFV’s Director General.
This decade-long cooperation culminated on 21 April 2015 with the opening of LFV’s Remote Tower Centre in Sundsvall, when Örnsköldsvik Airport became the first airport in the world to be remotely controlled. Since operations began, LFV has accumulated over 4,000 hours of valuable experience of RTS.
Combining LFV’s unique operational knowledge of RTS with Saab’s first-class technology and global organisation enables us to jointly promote digital air traffic management as a product.
"The new company will bring together Saab's world-leading technological know-how and global organisation with LFV's unique expertise in delivering innovative, digital and certified operational solutions within air traffic control. This will allow the company to serve as a leading partner to guide customers through the entire process for the successful conversion to digital air traffic services," says Micael Johansson, Head of Saab business area Surveillance.
“This will strengthen our ability to lead, develop and drive the digitalisation of remote air traffic management across the sector,” says Olle Sundin. “Together we can both address and drive a digital transformation and the demands of the market.”
The company will commence operations no earlier than 1 September 2016.
The transaction is subject to approval by the Swedish Competition Authority. This approval is expected during July/August 2016. Thereafter the formation of the company will be completed.
For more information or to request an interview, please contact the LFV press office by telephone on +46 (11) 19 20 50.
- LFV is first in the world with remotely operated air traffic management, Remote Tower Services, RTS. Since April 2015 Örnsköldsvik Airport has been remote controlled from LFVs Remote Tower Centre, RTC, in Sundsvall. After one year of operations, LFV has 4000 hours experience of operative remote tower services.
- LFV offers air traffic management and related services both nationally and internationally.
- LFV provides safe, efficient and environmentally adapted air traffic services for civil and military aviation.
- LFV controls traffic at 23 airports and 3 control centres in Sweden and provides air traffic service at five airports in Abu Dhabi.
- LFV conducts research and develops new services and operational concepts in order to meet the ever greater requirements for capacity, accessibility and sustainability.
- LFV collaborates in various alliances and organisations to improve the efficiency of European airspace.
- LFV has more than 70 years’ experience and knowledge of air traffic services and air safety.
LFV in figures 2015
- 3.4 billion turnover.
- 1200 employees.
- 712,000 aircraft movements in Swedish air space.
- 2015 LFV was first in the world with remotely operated air traffic management.
- 99.9 per cent punctuality.
- 23 Swedish airports traffic controlled by LFV.
- 3 control centres with air traffic services.
- 30 years experience of business in more than 50 countries.
- 150 air traffic controllers trained in ‘green air traffic management’ in 2015.
- 100 per cent of air safety goals met.